rss
email
twitter
facebook

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

BEAT MAKERS -vs- PRODUCERS


     Beat maker or Producer, which one are you? Before you answer, let me offer some insight just so you know your correct identity. I don't think the separation of the two has anything to do with status, how much you make per beat, not even talent. WOW! Yeah I did say it "not even talent". I do think you must possess a talent but I don't think the separation is because lack of but, limitations. Way to often I encounter individuals that introduce their self as a Producer and when I go to listen to their product I quickly see that they didn't realize that they are a Beat Maker. And sometimes the beats are hot but they fall short of the full potential.
     So here we go! If your process of production is to create a four or eight bar sequence with your sample or your drums and loop that for 3 to 4 minutes then I am sorry to let you know... BRACE YOUR SELF, You are not a Producer. Beat maker Alert Beat Maker Alert! I am not taking anything away from your talents but take that chip off your shoulder, tame the ego, and take some advise. First let's get rid of the stop watch, and stop bragging about how quickly or how many beats you can make in whatever time. A true artist no matter the craft or the gift is never satisfied they see and hear the flaws that a customer or fan is blind or deaf to. A true Producer will have a concept, direction, or at least feeling that he will lead the artist to. Beat Makers make it to hard on the artist. They limit the average thought process because there is no activity in the beat. Let me be the first to say that some artist can not be helped. I just don't want you to fall short of greatness. The chorus or the hook of the song should not be identical to the verse. Oh yeah, have you ever heard of a bridge? I think some of you need to listen to some Rock bands because they stick to the script. The basic song format for a song has been the same forever, you can treat your beat like an essay. Remember when your teacher had you fill out your outline and you knew you need so many sentences, so many paragraphs, an introduction, and a summary, use that process for your beats. I know a lot of times the original idea or concept isn't a thought up process but once you got that then don't slow down, the finish line isn't close.
     It is OK to let your emotions show and sometime you might have to communicate this to your artist or to the person that you have created this for. Treat that beat like your child. A good parent wants to guide their child through life and help them get in the right position where they can reach their full potential. Do the same for your beat! It starts with a seed and then blossom from there but its not done growing. Keep adding water and you will be surprised what it can grow into and an artist myself I appreciate when the concept and mood is there and all I have to do is fill in the blanks. A lot of times it on the producer to find or bring out the potential of the artist. So what are you waiting for? Step up to the plate we're in need of a home run. To learn more about Kiddo from Rhymescheme Ent.   Written by Chester "itskiddo" Hendon.

No comments:

Post a Comment